Tuesday 22 November 2011

Leveson inquiry

Now I don't think of myself as up to date with current affairs, in fact the only reason I watch the news is because I'm waiting for Eastenders or Hollyoaks to come on. But this morning after having a little scroll through Twitter something caught my eye. The leveson inquiry. I don't know why it did, but it did. So as you do, I googled it.

From what I can work out it is an inquiry over the phone hacking scandal and aloud of other naughty things the public media have been getting away with for so long.

Now I'm the first to admit I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to newspapers and magazines. I believe every word even though deep down inside I know it's all a load of rubbish! But I just can't help myself from buying them and reading them and ultimately judging people (not just celebrities) on things that some sweaty old journalist more than likely just made up.

So after a little research of my own (Thanks Google) I started to read Hugh Grants Witness statement part 1 and have copied this paragraph for your viewing pleasure. It made me chuckle! And thought it summed up the media industry well.


"It is also very important to remember that when the person DOES do an interview with a paper or magazine they are doing it by consent. It is a form of barter the paper gets what it hopes will be a boost in sales, and the person gets what he hopes will be some helpful noise about his forthcoming project. It is like bartering 12 eggs for a bale of hay. Or like me selling you a pint of milk for 50p. When the deal is done, it's done. You wouldn't then say "You sold me your milk, you slut. I'm now entitled to help myself to your milk for ever afterwards".

If you want to read the statement the link is
It is actually quite an interesting read, certainly not something I thought would interest me but has.

Or if you can't be bothered to read his entire witness statement there's a short video footage:

Now once Bambino has gone to bed I may start on the Dowler Statement?
We Shall see...

Mummy & Bambino <3


No comments:

Post a Comment